When it comes to your physical health, you may be overlooking a very important part of your body: your digestive system. Since your digestive tract is about 25 feet long and works hard to handle the nutrients you put into your body as well as removing the toxins from everyday eating, it’s an important muscle to focus on.
When your digestive tract isn’t working properly, you’ll put yourself at risk for irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, cancer, ulcers, malabsorption and so many other health risks. Not only this, but studies have shown that your gut health affects your skin and mental health. This is why at Twin Cities Integrative Medicine we feel it’s so important to discuss gut health.
Below are some herbs that can help support health digestion. Please speak with your doctor before starting a new herbal supplement, especially if you take other medications.
Herbs To Support Healthy Digestion
Constipation can happen to the best of us. Whether you’ve been drinking too few fluids, suffering from an illness, or just not making your digestive health a priority, you’ll want to know what herbs can help with constipation relief.
These are the best herbs to support healthy digestion when you’re constipated:
- Senna Leaf
- Cascara Sagrada
- Marshmallow Root
- Mullein Leaf
- Aloe Leaf
- Barberry Root
Maintaining Healthy Digestion
Below you’ll find a list of herbs to support healthy digestion. Each has a specific use that will help keep your digestive tract running smoothly so that you can feel healthier.
- Chia Seeds – helps with proper bowel movements due to chia seeds being high in Omega-3 fatty acids and fiber.
- Psyllium seed – get relief from the cramping that comes when your digestive system isn’t functioning properly as well as fiber for maximum digestive health.
- Fennel – helps speed up the digestive process all the while reducing gas.
- Caraway – for use with loss of appetite and other digestive disorders.
- Cumin – this herb has many properties but for the digestive tract health it helps aid in digestion.
- Lemon Balm – the perfect herb to help get your digestive system working when you’re experiencing poor digestion health due to stress.
These herbs to support healthy digestion can be used in many forms throughout your day. Although chia seeds might not technically be considered an herb, it is a super food that you can put in a smoothie or sprinkle on yogurt in the morning.
When it comes to using herbs to support healthy digestion, you’ll feel better about using a natural remedy to curb those risky diseases that arrive when your digestive tract stops functioning properly. Contact Twin Cities Integrative Medicine in Maple Grove, Minnesota to discuss your digestive issues.